Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Wave Enviro: Eco-Water

Making certain changes in your life will not only benefit your health, but also your wallet. 

In my house, I'm the one who does the grocery shopping.  Something constantly on the list that irks me to no end is "water."  I know that this one word is meant to convey to me "Ashley, buy a flat of unnecessary plastic water bottles filled with water that tastes like plastic because of its packaging and is practically a poison because of all of the leeching that occurs from the bottle and is most likely going to end up killing marine life."  Just saying "water" saves ink, I guess.

Picture from here.

For a long time, now, I've been trying to turn everyone I know on to reusable water bottles.  Personally, I have three -- one of which is the promotional one from Twilight with a picture that says "Team Edward" under it.  It's not that I'm a huge twilight fan -- personally, I love vampires but I don't really think of the Cullens et al. as vampires.  But I digress.  The people from Twilight are supposed to be as cold as ice and Edward lives up to that reputation through his use as a water bottle; my water is always nice and cold.

Quite recently, however, I've been in the market for a new stainless steel water bottle and I stumbled upon a company that makes some of the safest water bottles, plus food storage and filtration systems, that I have ever seen.  This company is called New Wave Enviro.  What I really like about them is how thorough they are.  They think about everything from bottle to cap to filter to lunch.

They do carry plastic which is notorious for leeching deadly chemicals and carcinogens into whatever they hold.  The plastic they use, however, is BPA free.  For those of you not in the know, BPA stands for Bisphenol A.  It is an endocrine disruptor that has been linked to birth defects, obesity, cancer, neurological issues, thyroid issues, sexual dysfunction, etc.  Basically, the stuff's bad news.  New Wave Enviro uses plastic in the safest way possible, though, so they get my stamp of approval.

Aluminum water bottles are a definite step up from plastic; however, they must be lined to be safe to drink from.  The lining can chip or flake, creating dangers.  There was also a time when the lining was made of BPA.  Then you have the cap possibly being made of plastic, etc. etc. 

The safest by far is stainless steel. Stainless steel does not need to be lined, leeches nothing, and is smooth and pore-less.  It keeps your drink at just the right temperature without any nasty health side effects.  New Wave Enviro has a great collection of stainless steel water bottles.  I really like this bottle because not only is it safe and nice to look at but it also benefits a good cause:  Pandas International.  It's the bottle I intend to get once I make my way down to Wholefoods.  There are so many other great bottles and storage containers including a small stainless steel bottle with a nipple for babies.  It makes sense, doesn't it?  Knowing what we know about the dangers of plastic water bottles, why would you want your kid drinking out of one?  I wouldn't.

Even if you're the kind of person who looks at all of the science supporting the dangers of plastic water bottles as witchcraft and tomfoolery, you can't ignore the toll it takes on the environment.  Emissions from production aside, so many plastic bottles are not recycled and they end up on the sides of our roads and in our oceans, rivers, and lakes.  They polute our world and kill our wild life.

That not a good enough reason, either?  Okay.  Buy one water bottle, refill it, it lasts forever.  Or, waste money buying a bunch of disposable bottles of water that make water taste like plastic and do not stay cold. 

As always, it's your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave A Comment