Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Conservation: A Better Life

Conservation.  The ation of conserving.  Whether it be water, energy, or biodiversity, conservation is paramount to the survival of not only our own species but the entire planet and all of the life on it.  It's a big deal.
Sounds sort of daunting, doesn't it?  I know.  There is a lot of doom and gloom surrounding environmentalism.  This produces Eco-guilt (something we will discuss in a later post).  Then of course there are those who say that your efforts aren't enough and that you're naive to think anything you're doing is going to make a difference.  Forget what you heard; that's what I say.

Don't listen to those people that discourage you or make you feel deflated.  Like I've said before, we all need to start somewhere.  So, if you're in the market for a greener lifestyle and you're not quite ready to unplug from everything you've known your whole life or you don't really know where to start, have I got a great resource for you!

Conservation International is an amazing resource to learn about conservation.  From here, you can donate, support conservation campaigns, learn about initiatives, reduce your impact, and so much more.  It's a great tool for everyone, regardless of your proficiency level when it comes to conservationism.

One of my favorite sections of the site is the Simple Steps to Live Green section.  It's a great jumping off point.  The most important tip, in my opinion because it supports all of the other steps, is to BE INFORMED

This is crucial.  Knowledge/education/information is our number one weapon to combat climate change, deforestation, animal cruelty, pollution, and everything else that is damaging our world.  Knowledge really is power.  That's kind of the point of this blog.  I wanted to create a place where the ordinary person could come and be exposed to resources.  A place where they could just get the run-down on what's going on.  A place where people could learn something in a way that makes sense and is easy to understand.  I wanted to create a sort of hub of information.  I encourage you to look into things yourself but just remember, I can't seem to stop myself and I am always looking into things on my own.  Then I post them here.  You read them and we are all united in our journey towards a better world.  But first, you have to check out the resources I provide for you...

Conservation International was founded in 1987 -- making it oh so slightly older than I am.  It is a well established organization that knows what it's doing as well as what it's talking about.  You can follow them on twitter, I do.

In closing, I was raised to take care of my things.  I had to clean my dishes, wash my clothes, and clean my room.  I had to have respect for my things because I was lucky to have them.  This is our only planet.  Our only world.  We need to have respect for it and take care of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave A Comment