Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Feel Better?

For those of you who follow me on twitter, you may have noticed that yesterday I retweeted one article multiple times from different sources.  That was deliberate, I can assure you.  It was on "Humane Meat."  The article was written by Nil Zacharias, co-founder of One Green Planet.  You can follow them on twitter, as well.  The article is called Humane Meat Is The Solution To What, Again?

As a vegetarian working on the transition into veganism, I have often pondered this question.  I have had discussions with people and sometimes, I've been roped into arguments about it.  Bottom line is:  people don't like to think about where their food comes from and making it seem like it comes from at least marginally happy animals makes them feel better.  Zacharias explores the ideas that buzz words and phrases like "free-range" and "humane" are used to ease the consciouses of the people buying the products; people who know what's going on in factory farms but don't care might be sociopaths; and a lot of people just don't want to know.

A friend of mine asked me why I don't just eat the meat from organic farmers where you know the animals were allowed to graze and were taken care of.  This bothered me for two specific reasons and then a number of less definable reasons. 

Number one:  I don't want to eat meat.  Period.  I do not agree with the practices employed by CAFO's; however, I wouldn't eat meat from anywhere because I am not okay with eating the flesh or byproducts of another animal regardless of where it came from.  True, grass-finished organic meat is vastly better for you than CAFO meat because it does not have all of the antibiotics and hormones injected into it and it grazes instead of being fed corn and God only knows what else.  If you are dead set on eating meat, you should get it from these places instead of supporting the practices of factory farming.  I, however, do not eat meat, do not want to eat meat, and will not eat meat, therefore, the topic is moot.

Number two:  he tends to try and pressure me out of vegetarianism/veganism.  When I asked him why he is always on my case about it, he told me it is because he feels pressured.  I never try and convert anyone or preach to them.  When people ask me something, I answer them.  When he wants to know things, I tell him.  When he asks me my reasons, I tell him.  From what I've heard and read, this is common among a lot of omnivores; they feel threatened or pressured or judged solely by the veg-lifestyle.  I can understand that.  It also supports the idea that "humane meat" makes them feel better.  If they buy this "humane meat" they can't be judged because they are looking out for the animals.

Here's the thing... what this entire things really comes down to is giving an abused animal an extra few inches of space doesn't really constitute as humane behavior.  Even if they figure out how to slaughter the animals in a more "humane" way, the fact of the matter is that these animals -- living breathing creatures that can feel pain and be scared -- are still being killed and treated as things; as a commodity.  This is because of supply and demand. 

People are demanding animal products at a startling rate.  As a result, the environment is suffering, people are getting exponentially unhealthier, and more and more animals are being raised for slaughter in order to meet the meat demand.  If everyone cut down on their animal consumption, the demand for it would lower so much that fewer animals would be raised for slaughter -- this would be reflected in peoples health and the environment, also.  The numbers are in and people want animal products.  The companies see the demand and supply it as quickly and efficiently for them as possible.  What all of this means, and the article talks about, is that everyone needs to work on being a conscious consumer.  Think about where the stuff you're buying comes from and what had to be done to get it and if stamping the word "humane" on the label makes the situation better or if it just makes you feel better.

Since the above incident, my friend has expressed to me a desire to go "a little veg" as he calls it.  He says he can't imagine not eating meat but he wants to be healthier.  I told him I would help him, if he wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave A Comment